Hi Zack,

> There is now a version of Slackware Linux for ARM that includes useful
> programs like Firefox.  Has anyone tried running it on ArcEm?

Arcem emulates such an old set of ARM CPUs that I doubt any modern Linux
would be happy.  Linux/ARM development by Russell King did start out on
Acorn's ARM machines but that was long ago.  You've either got to go
back to a very old Linux or look at an emulator for later Acorn ARM
machines, e.g. http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/, but even then you'll find
it's too old for current Linuxes, you just won't have to go back quite
so far when looking for an old Linux.

You may stand more of a chance with current NetBSD.
http://netbsd.org/ports/acorn26/

Cheers, Ralph.