On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 06:53:43PM -0400, Daniel Micay wrote: > On 26/03/14 02:56 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote: > > Hello all, > > > > it won't be too long until 3.14 is out and I want to address a topic > > that has been bugging me for a while. Our kernel includes everything and > > the kitchensink. I have no problem with delivering drivers that can be > > built modular, but there are other things that have an unknown impact on > > everyone. > > > > I want to trim our kernel down to what we actually support. > > I think we should drop x32 support if no one is planning on packaging > the minimum of a compiler and standard C library. It's cool, but no one > appears to be very interested in using it in the real world. You would > probably get bigger wins from recompiling with -march=native, so I > somewhat doubt that anyone grasping for the last bit of performance will > use our binaries anyway. > > This was already responsible for a security vulnerability in Arch: > > http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q1/187 >
Ah, I knew I forgot something from my last email. Yes, x32 should go away if we aren't interested in hosting the toolchain for it.

