On 11/25/2011 11:55 AM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
Actually, what is stupid is keeping /tmp in RAM. It is an important dir, where
you might have an valuable info in case of a system crash. I could never
understand the logic behind this choice.

Actually, I think it makes a lot of sense. It lets you truly use it as a repository for "temporary" files. Any files written there will get automatically wiped out at the next boot.

I do this routinely on all my boxes. In addition, any files that I download I put in /tmp. If it turns out to be important, I copy it elsewhere. Else, it's automatically gone at the next reboot.

Contrast that with my Windows machine, where I have a "temp" folder on disk that I use for the same purpose. I have to always remember to go back and delete files from there when I'm finished with them.

DR