On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Heiko Baums <li...@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Again, PulseAudio which Lennart Poettering likes to have as a standard
> completely doesn't work with (semi-)professional audio cards with an
> ice1712 chip. Yes, I had a look at PulseAudio.

Have you tried after this fix was released:
<http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commitdiff;h=d3906a93072171e5b5f4000d4a228af4eb8fa253>?

> And, yes, there are incompatibilities in systemd. As far as I read
> there are a lot of initscripts which don't work with systemd and
> therefore have/had to be rewritten to get them working with systemd.
>
> Where's the bug? In the scripts or in systemd?

Dunno. Depends on the bug. Point me at it and I'll fix it wherever it is.

> Then explain it to me. An optical drive is also only mounted
> temporarily. I don't see a difference between mounting a harddisk
> temporarily or mounting a dvd temporarily.

The different usecases of /media and /mnt are explained in the FHS
link you provided.

> So let everybody invent their own directory scheme, because FHS is so
> called outdated so that every Linux distribution and every Unix
> derivate is totally incompatible with each other? Right, great idea!

Nope. We are working with the other distros to make things more
uniform, not less. In my humble opinion doing this work within the
framework of the FHS is not very effective. Coding by committee seldom
works.

> What about first rewriting the FHS first to make it up-to-date again
> and only then using this new FHS?

The things that are agreed upon are being added to the next version of
FHS, but I guess things are not done in the order you would prefer.

> Until then the FHS should be fully respected.

If you say so...

> Come on, if this was really true then the FHS would have already been
> rewritten by those guys. So this is nonesense.

It is:
<http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/fhs-discuss/2011-May/000001.html>.
Note how they hope to be finished by July 1, but conveniently forget
to mention what year ;-) But fear not, they have almost agreed on the
color of the bikeshed, the rest is expected to follow shortly.

> And, btw., I don't see
> any point in which the FHS doesn't work anymore.
>
> But maybe you can explain this, too.

I'm sure Google will point you at plenty of discussions on this subject.

>> This is a waste of time. The upstream developers are well aware of the
>> FHS. If their apps violate it, it is intentional.
>
> Wrong again, it's not intentional, it's buggy.

I meant that it is intentional by the software developers, not by the
FHS committee. But don't take my word for it, try to file your bugs
upstream and see what happens.

-t