On 06/22/2012 04:22 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
I get nothing with this command.
Your programs will likely ignore the agent and use gpg directly
using the password once without an environment variable.

You should have the GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable already setup as
the third box in this link does. You can fix it quite easily but why
it's not there already I'm not sure and is the real issue.

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Invoking-GPG_002dAGENT.html

I presume you switched to openbox from something else which set this
up automatically.

  Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Ok, everything is working as it should now. I originally had the following in my Openbox autostart file:

/envfile="${HOME}/.gpginfo"
if test -f ${envfile} && kill -0 $(cut -d: -f 2 ${envfile} | head -n 1) 2>/dev/null; then
   eval $(cat ${envfile})
else
eval `/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support --write-env-file ${envfile}`
fi
export GPG_AGENT_INFO
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
export SSH_AGENT_PID

/Apparently this isn't the correct way to do it? It would create the .gpginfo file ok, but I'm assuming that the export command wasn't working correctly. Any ideas why?

I looked at the link that you gave but I wasn't sure where to place the command to start the gpg-agent. I figured if I placed it in my Openbox autostart file, then there was the possibility of starting the agent more than once if logging out and back in. I tried putting it in .xsession but it didn't start from there because I use Slim and I believe that Slim doesn't call xsession. Maybe putting it in .xinitrc would work.

What I ended up doing was per the Arch wiki. Creating the file /etc/profile.d/gpg-agent.sh with the following:

/#!/bin/sh

envfile="${HOME}/.gnupg/gpg-agent.env"
if test -f "$envfile" && kill -0 $(grep GPG_AGENT_INFO "$envfile" | cut -d: -f 2) 2>/dev/null; then
    eval "$(cat "$envfile")"
else
    eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon --write-env-file "$envfile")"
fi
export GPG_AGENT_INFO  # the env file does not contain the export statement/

This did the trick for me.

Oh and you are correct, I switched from XFCE to Openbox.

Thanks for the help!

Randy

/

/