Thanks Christoph.

Holding down the Meta/Super/Windows/Apple key does allow the "unmovable"
window to move.  Until Gnome "fixes" that capability, by removing it.
Using this workaround, I can now use the backend preferences window.

I am surprised that I didn't find a bug report on this already.  I guess I
can make one, as soon as I learn how to do that.