Because I want the sound card operational on first boot. I have two sets of speakers connected to the computer when I failed on that first install. So I disconnected the usb set and the install failed again with the same error. Finally after each install, I boot into arch and don't hear grub beep or any sound after that. It could be the torrent I used was hacked since grub at least should have beeped even if the sound card didn't work. Now it's possible I may need to use the be my eyes app on my iPhone to examine the screen for me to see if archlinux can't for some reason find the sound card and was maybe asking for some assistive input from me to get it going.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018, ?yvind Heggstad wrote:

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 07:00:58
From: ?yvind Heggstad <mrelen...@har-ikkje.net>
To: arch-general@archlinux.org
Subject: Re: [arch-general] archlinux install bottleneck

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 07:27:11 -0500
Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:

After having run arch-chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash one of the things I
do is to run alsactl store.
alsactl store returns error 125 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state no such
file or directory.  Certainly there's no such file since when alsa
was run before arch-chroot got run on system boot /mnt/var/lib/alsa
directory was empty having just run pacstrap on /mnt.  So since this
is supposed to work, could it be arch-chroot script fails to collect
and pass along enough of the right environment information to its
chrooted environment for alsactl store to run?  Details are available
at: information at:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=43f6670eb3bde26ad6491d2faa631625109f88d0

As a sidenote: Why are you running alsactl store inside the chroot?