On 03/03/2018 11:56 AM, Alajos Odoyle wrote:
> On 2018-03-02 13:07, Levente Polyak via arch-general wrote:
>>
>> That's literally an incredibly stupid idea. Symlink
>> /usr/lib/libtinfo.so.5 to /usr/lib/libtinfo.so.6 does not magically
>> make it compatible for both, it is ABI incompatible that's the whole
>> point of a soname bump. Anything linking to libtinfo.so.6 may now be
>> broken in one or the other way. never ever overwrite existing
>> versioned so libs with any other version.
>
> It will do until the fix made it into the Arch Linux Mono package. The
> reason for this message was to let people know that I had no issues
> applying this hack *so far*. People can decide for themselves if they
> want to do it quick and dirty or not-so-quick and properly (the latter
> which I referred to as "rebuilding Mono or something"). Calling the idea
> "incredibly stupid" is just unnecessary.

The worst problem with symlinking incompatible libraries together is
that strictly speaking, the result is "undefined behavior", not "omg
this segfaults everywhere".

The undefined behavior in question may be segfaults, but it can just as
easily be the application silently doing the wrong thing. So the fact
that you are not aware of any issues, is not necessarily an indicator
that there were in fact no issues.

This is the other reason why it is stupid to do this, in addition to the
one where you are subtly encouraging people who don't understand the
issue to emulate you without knowing why.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User