I've noticed recently that even after I log out of my desktop env (XFCE) there is a process tree left hanging around running "systemd --user" under my user ID (with a bunch of gvfs child processes running under it). I wouldn't normally care about this, but if I then try to power down the machine, that running process seems to block syslog from successfully shutting down, and so the shutdown process waits for an extra minute and a half until it finally kills the process and powers off. If I manually kill the "systemd --user" process tree, I have no such issues and the machine can power down instantly.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening / how to fix? Either by forcing "systemd --user" to terminate on logout, or by forcing syslog and/or the shutdown process to not be blocked by systemd?

I did some digging on this, and saw some indication that setting "KillUserProcesses=yes" in /etc/systemd/logind.conf would force the systemd process to get shut down. But I tried changing that setting and it didn't make a difference. I also tried setting a script to run at logout in lightdm, but that didn't seem to work either: it did kill the original systemd process tree running gvfs, but then it looks like another one gets spun up to replace it, and I wind up with the same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions how to work around this?

Thanks,

DR