On 3/22/20 2:28 PM, Piscium via arch-general wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 11:03, Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:

5.59-10 on the machine I use.  I'm using a different version of linux on
another disk to write this message.
Strangely, both speaker-test and espeakup no longer work.  The
speaker-test failure would of course
cover espeakup since espeakup uses sound card resources to do screen
reading.
Was anything done to the kernel to cause these failures?

Before Arch I used Fedora for 7 years. I found Fedora far more stable
than Arch when upgrading to a new Fedora version 3 months after
release when most bugs have been fixed. With Arch there is always
something that does not work properly and then days or weeks later it
starts working again.
Hi
Did you installed Arch in the right way?
The only Arch installation method is here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
Since 22 years, i use Linux. After redhat, suse, gentoo, fedora, debian
stable,testing and sid, i went to Arch. I get rare problems with Arch,
less than with other distributions (except with venerable debian/stable)
To become happy Arch user:
First, very important: use linux-lts all and "lts" or "still" packages
you can find. Non lts kernels *are not* stable. Then, don't update each
day. Then, when you do something, you have to know what you are doing.

--
Maderios