Nope. Not at all. Using X as root to run and/or maintain a server is a
considerable security issue. If that is not what the fella is doing then
the problem with sudo changing permissions  when run in X is moot, and he
was confused. (Which I also spoke to/about.)

If this is not clear, that is o.k....and please ignore me.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch