Hi there Joel. I'm really sorry that the migration of your data from v3 to
v4 is becoming frustrating for you.

Please know that we are trying our best to get as much functionality into
the system as possible. However, as I'm sure you can appreciate, there are
limits to what we can do and tough decisions have to be made on a regular
basis, more often than not concerning the most difficult ones--i.e., which
functionality we should include/exclude.

We specifically discussed writing a parser to help transfer one's data from
v3 to v4 when we were defining the scope and budget for v4, but as often is
the case, it becomes more complicated the closer you look at it, especially
since we want to make any code as generic and possible. In this case, we
made the decision that this is likely something that could/would be
contributed by someone in the community. The idea was that someone with
experience implementing v3 would contribute a script to the community in
the process of upgrading to v4. We assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that most
would not need to upgrade immediately. You may be the first to upgrade with
complex data!

My take on the documentation is that it is something that can always be
improved on, regardless. But, once again, we are relying on the community
to help us out, because only through real use can we tell what needs more
clarification. We are continually engaged in improving it.

I will look into seeing if I can find someone whom I could encourage
to help you out, but I can't promise. It seems that everyone I know is
faced with tight deadlines at the moment, and there's more stress than
usual going around. If I can find any help, I'll let you know.

Best, and sorry once again that this has become frustrating.

Alison