Just a small update to Joel's answers on Arches' mapping technology: v4
does uses Mapbox GL as our primary open source mapping library.  MapBox
provides the same great capabilities of OpenLayers (e.g.: lots of data
sources) and does a very nice job of supporting modern vector maps.  We
also use Leaflet, primarily to support IIIF images.  Also, we no longer use
ExtJS; v3 and v4 both use Bootstrap to support responsive user interfaces.

Cheers,

Dennis