I may have found a solution to this myself. After searching for *jose* on
the Python package index, I found *python-jose* as an alternative which
seemed to have the missing *jws* name needed for an import.

I therefore ran
pip uninstall jose
pip install python-jose
and my python manage.py migrate then produced an error message relating to
the database contents, instead of reporting a missing module:

django.db.migrations.exceptions.NodeNotFoundError: Migration
models.0010_4_1_0 dependencies reference nonexistent parent node (u'auth',
u'0008_alter_user_username_max_length')

(Full details in the gist at
https://gist.github.com/daosborne/24a698df329f097b0e683fe89da20d69)

Might this sort of database migration error be expected and is it serious?
The database works well with 4.0.1

TL;DR
To recap for anyone else with missing modules after doing an upgrade from
4.0.1 to 4.1.0, try
pip install django-recaptcha
pip install python-jose
which (almost) worked for me (your mileage may vary).

David