Hi Lawrence,

The Azure App Service is meant to take over everything but the app itself,
so running it with an nginx container is not necessary.
I used the App Service for a short while and only could get it to work when
using the single container approach.

That being said, I found the App Service to be extremely slow (and
expensive), so I am eager to hear your experiences with it.

For me it did help to set up Azure CDN to serve static files.
Roughly:
1. Set up an Azure Blob Storage account
2. Configure Django to use the azure-storage package
(https://django-storages.readthedocs.io/en/latest/backends/azure.html  ->
don't do the static files steps)
3. Set up Azure CDN with the storage account from step 1 as origin.
4. Set `STATIC_URL` in settings.py to the CDN endpoint.

I hope this helps and please share your experiences with us :)
Vincent