Hi Dale,

Search engines look for robots.txt behind this url: /robots.txt
Where exactly you store this file on the file system does not matter as
much.
What matters is how you configure your routing in either Apache (common) or
in Django's urls.py (less commonly done).

In my case I use the Nginx webserver (similar to Apache). I set it up to
simply return a string when clients hit that url:

location /robots.txt {
 return 200 "User-agent: *\nDisallow:\n";
 }

Which in readable text would look something like:

Disallow:

To disallow:
location /robots.txt {
 return 200 "User-agent: *\nDisallow: /\n";
 }

(note the forward slash after Disallow:)

This will probably look a little different in Apache, but I hope this will
get you started.

Best,
Vincent