Since Colin's thread was locked and re-directed, I'm using the same title
to respond to his comment regarding my_project.settings. When we reached
the same point with the same problem, I examined some of the stack trace.
As Colin is doing, I am installing arches on a new machine, not upgrading a
machine with an older version.

It appears that giving your project a name other than arches results in
some invalid settings in some of the py files. For example, settings.py
loads the arches library, but immediately makes calls to modules in the
projectname library, which doesn't exist:

import os
import arches
import inspect

try:
    from arches.settings import *
except ImportError:
    pass

APP_ROOT =
os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(inspect.getfile(inspect.currentframe())))
STATICFILES_DIRS =  (os.path.join(APP_ROOT, 'media'),) + STATICFILES_DIRS

DATATYPE_LOCATIONS.append('hpla.datatypes')
FUNCTION_LOCATIONS.append('hpla.functions')

Similarly, wsgi.py, which is the file that generated the error Colin
mentioned, fails on the following line:

os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = "hpla.settings"

I experimented with changing hpla to arches in wsgi.py and got further, but
I'm about to scrap everything and re-install the project as arches. I could
go through all of the files in the stack trace and replace all 'hpla.'
occurrences with 'arches.', but I think it will be easier for long-term
maintenance to just go with arches. So long as I can call the production
product what I want, I should be fine.