Hi Leonidas,

Tileserver is deprecated in Arches v5.  To add a geotiff overlay, you can
do the following>

1. Use Geoserver (http://geoserver.org/) or other raster tiling server of
your choice to create a service for your geotiff.  One reason to consider
Geoserver: it has very good documentation for setting up a WMS service for
your geotiff, and in my experience configuring a geotiff service can be
done in just a few minutes.

2. Make sure that your service is configured to support EPSG:3857 (the web
mercator projection)

3. Register your service with Arches.  An easy way to do this is:
   - log on to <Arches>/admin
   - scroll down the page and click on "Map sources"
   - click the "Add Map Source" button on the top right of the page
   - give your map source a name
   - If you use Geoserver as your geotiff service, paste in the following
JSON into the source field:

    {
       "type": "raster",
       "tiles":
["http://localhost:8080/geoserver/arches/wms?bbox={bbox-epsg-3857}&format=image/png&service=WMS&version=1.1.1&request=GetMap&srs=EPSG:3857&width=256&height=256&layers=arches:topo_example";],
      "tileSize": 256
   }

  NOTE:
      1. your URL will have a different slug (the
"http://localhost:8080/geoserver/arches"; part will be different.  Just look
at the url your geoserver instance is using to find the proper endpoint
      2. layers-:arches:topo_example  is the name of the geotiff you want
to access via the service.  It takes the form "Geoserver store":"name of
the the geotiff" that you defined when you created the service.

4. Register the Map Layer with Arches:
    - On the admin page, click on "Map Layers"
    - click on the "Add map layer" button in the upper right of the form
    - Give your map layer a name.  IT SHOULD BE THE SAME AS THE MAP SOURCE
you created in the last step
    - Paste in the JSON for the layer definition.  The JSON will look like:

     [
       {
          "id": "topo_example",
          "type": "raster",
          "source": "geoserver_example"
       }
    ]

    NOTE:
       1. the "id" field should match the layer name in your service URL
       2. Be sure to click the Isoverlay checkbox to configure this service
as an Arches overlay
       3. Be sure to define an icon for the Arches service.  Something like
"fa fa-binoculars"

Assuming your geotiff service is running properly, that should be all you
need to register your service.

Also: your question about updated documentation for Arches v5 is a good
one.  Good documentation is essential and it's a big job to keep the
documentation up-to-date as Arches continues to grow.  This seems like a
good time to remind community members that we're happy to accept any help
with improving the documentation that you might be able to provide!

Cheers,

Dennis