Hi Robin, I recently wrote up a detailed explanation of creating an overlay
layer from a geotiff served through Geoserver:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/archesproject/vaBMwbYp6IY/nqL6xO-PAwAJ

No command line work necessary, all done in the Django admin backend
(/admin) of your Arches application.

Adam