Following up on this thread; Adam Cox and I looked into this further and it
appears that this behavior is related to django-storages. There is a
setting,  AWS_S3_FILE_OVERWRITE, that defaults to True. (By default files
with the same name will overwrite each other. Set this to False to have
extra characters appended.). So, adding this to settings_local.py fixed the
issue. Anyone using s3 buckets to store uploaded files, will probably want
to make sure they have this set to False.

Angela