Hi Brett, here is a working GeoServer WMS that I have in one of my own
projects:
https://github.com/legiongis/fpan/blob/master/fpan/fixtures/1919-coastal-map.json.
This is a Django fixture
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.2/howto/initial-data/#providing-data-with-fixtures>,
which I've found to be a very clean way to store map layers for upload (you
can see some other examples in that repo).

Just comparing that one to yours, I think you'll at least need to change
your "type" to "raster" in the source.

Good luck! These are all examples that should get into the
https://github.com/archesproject/arches-map-layers repo when we can
actually update it...

Adam