Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the feedback. Please see comments inline below.

Thanks
Justin

On August 5, 2017 at 10:55:58 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden GPII
(gr...@raisingthefloor.org<mailto:gr...@raisingthefloor.org>) wrote:

I Know that this is just a snapshot of code that is still being written and is
not fully debugged.

So these are just notes to help you in that process.

Bugs found in this early code:

On my computer (mac) and chrome   Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
the following happens

  *   on installation - it did not ask me to install the dictionary.   I have
Click2speech installed but not the dictionary.

It looks like the notification system used when installing CRX files is
different than when loading an unpacked extension. In the latter case, the
notifications appear in chrome and you get one for each missing extension. In
the former case they appear as OS level notifications and only one appears. I
tried this using macOS, so the experience may be different on other platforms.
I have filed GPII-2523<https://issues.gpii.net/browse/GPII-2523> for it.

  *   when I click on the G - down comes a text size control.   When I hit +
  *
     *   - the first time it jammed   and then somehow when into a spin where
it kept showing different Chrome windows (web pages) I had open in rapid
succession
     *   - when I tried to replicate I could not replicate the rapid window
changing but it did jam every time — freezing Chrome unless I moved to another
program and back
     *   - I restarted chrome and got same consistent freezing
     *   - RESTARTING THE COMPUTER - solved the problems

Not sure what caused this. If you or anyone else can reproduce the issue,
please let me know what steps you took to install, what applications were
running, what tabs were open, and anything else that might help track down the
cause.

Other things noted once it was running

  *   the back and forth arrows do not work yet

This is being worked on in Infusion under
FLUID-5534<https://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-5534>

  *
Each time you open it it is back at the first item so you have to keep scanning
to whichever item you want to tweak it
  *
     *    I think it would be useful to have a series of icons at the bottom or
top that would jump you to whichever control you want. That way each time you
opened it it would only be two clicks to get whatever thing you wanted turned
on or off. One click to jump to it in one click to operate it. (Four clicks
overall counting the opening and closing)
     *    also it might make sense to have it open up again at the same control
that the individual last used since that is most likely the control they will
want to use next

Interesting ideas. I’ll mention those to Dana.

  *    I noticed that  “text-to-speech” at this time just enables “click to
speech”. So we need to turn on the speech in “click to speech” and leave it on
in order for the on-off switch to work in UIO+. I understand that that is how
it has to work for now. I am simply noting it here for anyone else who tries it
and thinks it’s broken when it doesn’t seem to work. They just need to find the
“click to speech” extension and turn speech on and leave it on.

Thanks for the note on that, it’s good to mention.

  *
  can you remind me what you have down as the final (or initial) decision as to
what would activate the text-to-speech? My memory is that we decided it should
be a right click rather than a left click as in “click to speech”, or did we
decide that conflicted with something. Or do we decide that it should be
user-specified? That was a more informal session so we don’t have a document
like we usually do now for things like that. Thanks

For the initial work on GPII-2430 we decided to go with a small “toolbar”
injected into the web page for play/pause reading of the content. Also included
would be a feature to read the selected text. In this case after a user selects
some text a play button would popup over it and the user would click on that to
have the text synthesized.

see:
https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/%28Floe%29+UI+Options+Design+Walkthrough%2C+C.1?preview=/32014373/34734325/uio_tts2.jpg

  *
 You might reverse the order of the highlight control and the contrast control.
I think a lot of people will see the highlight control and think it’s the
contrast control. So I would put the contrast control first and the  highlight
control later on.   the contrast control is also more demonstrable.

I’ve made this change in my branch of the work, moving it between dictionary
and selection highlight. If there are other changes to the order needed, please
let me know.

 Thanks Justin. Nice to see it coming along.

On Aug 4, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Obara, Justin