> On Aug 8, 2017, at 8:47 AM, Obara, Justin <job...@ocadu.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi Gregg,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Please see comments inline below.
>
> Thanks
> Justin
>
> On August 5, 2017 at 10:55:58 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden GPII
> (gr...@raisingthefloor.org <mailto:gr...@raisingthefloor.org>) wrote:
>
>> I Know that this is just a snapshot of code that is still being written and
>> is not fully debugged.
>>
>> So these are just notes to help you in that process.
>>

>> Bugs found in this early code:
>>
>> On my computer (mac) and chrome   Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build)
>> (64-bit)
>> the following happens
>>

>> on installation - it did not ask me to install the dictionary.   I have
>> Click2speech installed but not the dictionary.
>
> It looks like the notification system used when installing CRX files is
> different than when loading an unpacked extension. In the latter case, the
> notifications appear in chrome and you get one for each missing extension. In
> the former case they appear as OS level notifications and only one appears. I
> tried this using macOS, so the experience may be different on other
> platforms. I have filed GPII-2523 <https://issues.gpii.net/browse/GPII-2523>
> for it.

I used a mac - but didn’t see it.  Maybe looking in the wrong place.

>> when I click on the G - down comes a text size control.   When I hit +
>> - the first time it jammed   and then somehow when into a spin where it kept
>> showing different Chrome windows (web pages) I had open in rapid succession
>> - when I tried to replicate I could not replicate the rapid window changing
>> but it did jam every time — freezing Chrome unless I moved to another
>> program and back
>> - I restarted chrome and got same consistent freezing
>> - RESTARTING THE COMPUTER - solved the problems
>
> Not sure what caused this. If you or anyone else can reproduce the issue,
> please let me know what steps you took to install, what applications were
> running, what tabs were open, and anything else that might help track down
> the cause.

It was weird — but we should talk about restarting the computer maybe - as a
precaution to clean up anything strange?

>> Other things noted once it was running
>> the back and forth arrows do not work yet
>
> This is being worked on in Infusion under FLUID-5534
> <https://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-5534>

OK

>> Each time you open it it is back at the first item so you have to keep
>> scanning to whichever item you want to tweak it
>>  I think it would be useful to have a series of icons at the bottom or top
>> that would jump you to whichever control you want. That way each time you
>> opened it it would only be two clicks to get whatever thing you wanted
>> turned on or off. One click to jump to it in one click to operate it. (Four
>> clicks overall counting the opening and closing)
>>  also it might make sense to have it open up again at the same control that
>> the individual last used since that is most likely the control they will
>> want to use next
>
> Interesting ideas. I’ll mention those to Dana.

Thanks

>>  I noticed that  “text-to-speech” at this time just enables “click to
>> speech”. So we need to turn on the speech in “click to speech” and leave it
>> on in order for the on-off switch to work in UIO+. I understand that that is
>> how it has to work for now. I am simply noting it here for anyone else who
>> tries it and thinks it’s broken when it doesn’t seem to work. They just need
>> to find the “click to speech” extension and turn speech on and leave it on.
>
> Thanks for the note on that, it’s good to mention.

So -

>>   can you remind me what you have down as the final (or initial) decision as
>> to what would activate the text-to-speech? My memory is that we decided it
>> should be a right click rather than a left click as in “click to speech”, or
>> did we decide that conflicted with something. Or do we decide that it should
>> be user-specified? That was a more informal session so we don’t have a
>> document like we usually do now for things like that. Thanks
>
> For the initial work on GPII-2430 we decided to go with a small “toolbar”
> injected into the web page for play/pause reading of the content. Also
> included would be a feature to read the selected text. In this case after a
> user selects some text a play button would popup over it and the user would
> click on that to have the text synthesized.
>
> see:
> https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/%28Floe%29+UI+Options+Design+Walkthrough%2C+C.1?preview=/32014373/34734325/uio_tts2.jpg
>
> <https://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/(Floe)+UI+Options+Design+Walkthrough,+C.1?preview=/32014373/34734325/uio_tts2.jpg>
>

>>  You might reverse the order of the highlight control and the contrast
>> control. I think a lot of people will see the highlight control and think
>> it’s the contrast control. So I would put the contrast control first and the
>>  highlight control later on.   the contrast control is also more
>> demonstrable.
>
> I’ve made this change in my branch of the work, moving it between dictionary
> and selection highlight. If there are other changes to the order needed,
> please let me know.

maybe

Text size
Line spacing
Contrast
Click to select
Selection Highlight
Text to speech
Simplify
Table of Contents
Enhanced Input
Dictionary

Rationale  (dictionary last because you don’t turn that on or off or adjust it
often)

I would put simplify and TOC first since one uses those a lot - but if simplify
is iffy now - we can leave it later
- but if we add the quick jump buttons on the bottom - and having it open where
it was last closed - it makes order less important for efficiency - and more
related to logic.

Oh - one other thing.    When you click it doesn’t open right away.    I found
myself clicking a second time (closing it before it opened)     It would  be
good if you can make it  instantly open when clicked - Even if it opens blank
at first and then fills in

thanks