Hi All,

I'm now implementing a membership scheme for Kubernetes for enabling
Hazelcast cluster discovery for Carbon products on Kubernetes (K8S).

We recently did a modification in Carbon Core for allowing users to plug in
membership schemes without having to modify the Kernel. This is now
available for Carbon 4.2.0 based products with Kernel patch0012 and Carbon
4.4.2 based products OOB.

*How it works*

In K8S we use K8S services for load balancing container clusters. K8S
services use nginx internally. These services can be used for identifying
the list of members in a given cluster.

Similar to the AWS and Private PaaS membership schemes, the new K8D
membership scheme is being implemented to add all existing members of the
cluster to Hazelcast network config before the Hazelcast instance is
initialized. This would happen automatically whenever a carbon server is
started.

This design would make sure all the members in the cluster are connected to
all the other members. As a result we will be able to scale the cluster up
and down on K8S without affecting clustering configuration.

Thanks

--
*Imesh Gunaratne*
Senior Technical Lead