On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 9:09 PM Harshan Liyanage <hars...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> @Nuwan: That's why I suggested having a configurable cron expression so
> that users can configure the task to run on an optimal schedule instead of
> blocking vital functionalities. Also in that way, we could do a batch
> deletes and insertions instead of single rows. For example, they could let
> it run every mid-night so then the access token tables won't grow for
> millions of records and not affecting the user traffic.

Our objective is to run this clean up process without anyone having to
configure anything. Even today we have instructions and scripts to clean up
the tables. But in practice, nobody even notices this and never does these
kind of stuff until they hit an issue and consult us through support. So if
we design this in such a way that someone has to turn on something or
configure something, I am positive our efforts will be in waste.

> @Nalaka: You could let the task to run only on a manager node in a
> distributed setup using a configuration.

There is no such thing as a "manager" node in our architecture. All nodes
are equal. Plus, we cannot introduce such changes as well due to numerous
complexities such as how to HA the manager node, too many varying
configurations, etc.