Hi all,

Currently the EI Tooling is shipped as an installed plugin on top of
Generic Eclipse Oxygen Java EE pack. Sometimes this is bit confusing to the
user since it has lots of generic eclipse related plugins installed.
Further, generic eclipse distribution has a eclipse specific product
branding so we have less control over it's look and feel. So we have
thought of having an RCP application[1] for EI Tooling so that we can
reduce the unnecessary generic eclipse plugins and provide a EI Tooling
specific look and feel.

With the RCP application we have the control over product branding such as
splash screen, installed plugins, workbench titles, welcome screen, about
page, perspectives, icons etc…

Previously we have downloaded the generic eclipse distribution and
installed Tooling features on top of that and shipped. But in the RCP
application we are assembling the EI tooling specific features with the
basic eclipse features which are required as dependencies for the tooling
features and form a distribution.

There are several advantages of having an RCP application.

   -

   We can include only WSO2 related stuff in the distribution
   -

   Can use a splash screen, welcome screen, about page and other product
   branding items specific to EI tooling
   -

   Distribution size can be reduced since we are removing unnecessary
   eclipse plugins.

Development of the RCP application is tracked by this issue [2]

[1]. https://wiki.eclipse.org/Rich_Client_Platform

[2]. https://github.com/wso2/product-ei/issues/2724

Thanks,
Heshitha.