Great. IMO having those throttling would suffice in most cases, as is the
case with MutualSSL based authentication [1]. But I learned from another
thread [2] when both MTS and OAuth are enabled it only authenticates based
on MTS, thereby losing OAuth bound throttling capabilities. Is that the
case with basic auth and OAuth combination too?

My point was to indicate that we don't need any additional work if there's
some level of throttling that doesn't depend on a token, which seems to be
the case. However, as Johann and Chanaka have pointed it is possible to
achieve full throttling capabilities (such as subscription capability) with
workarounds. My suggestion is to evaluate the possibility of eliminating
the dependency on tokens in general for the subscription as I understand
that's restricting some capabilities if someone wants to choose a different
scheme than OAuth; such as the MutualSSL, Basic Authentication or for that
matter in future if we chose to implement Digest Authentication or SAML2
token profile (not the bearer grant). This may not be technically feasible
in the 2.x.x versions. Maybe in 3.x.x versions.

[1] https://docs.wso2.com/display/AM260/Securing+APIs+with+Mutual+SSL
[2] Mutual SSL in APIM