Hi Johann,

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 7:13 AM Johann Nallathamby <joh...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Thanuja,
>
> Did we consider sending the access token itself as a secure, http-only
> cookie to the browser instead of binding it to a separate cookie? This will
> also simplify the development on the client side, in case someone wants to
> build their own SPA.

In this case if the access token is compromised the attacker can simply
inject the token to browser and perform the attack. So I don't see the
above option is providing an additional security that we are trying to
provide here.

So IMO we should use such additional browser token as a cookie with secure,
http-only headers added. Maybe we can provide this as a configurable
feature if someone wants to build their own SPA and they wants to omit this
browser token.

Thanks

> Regards,
> Johann.
>
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 12:26 PM Thanuja Jayasinghe <than...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> With the introduction of new IAM portal applications, there is a
>> requirement to provide additional security measures to secure these SPAs.
>> We have already implemented the OAuth2 authorization code flow(public
>> client) with PKCE for these applications and with this feature, it will be
>> possible to bind the access token to the browser instance. So, an
>> additional security measure will be enforced as the combination of the
>> access token and browser token(cookie) validated while accessing the IS
>> APIs.
>> Support for configuring this option using OAuth2 application
>> configuration and browser token persistence will be added as well.
>>
>> Updated request/response flow is as follows,
>> [image: Blank Diagram (1).png]
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Thanuja
>>
>> --
>> *Thanuja Lakmal*
>> Technical Lead
>> WSO2 Inc. http://wso2.com/
>> *lean.enterprise.middleware*
>> Mobile: +94715979891
>>

> --
> *Johann Dilantha Nallathamby* | Associate Director/Solutions Architect |
> WSO2 Inc.
> (m) +94 (77) 7776950 | (w) +94 (11) 2145345 | (e) joh...@wso2.com
> [image: Signature.jpg]

*Prakhash Sivakumar | Senior Software Engineer | WSO2 Inc*
*+94771510080 | prakh...@wso2.com <prakh...@wso2.com>