Getting this into attention again as this is an important improvement as we
can't get the real benefit of the observability feature in some critical
issues of live production systems as it requires a server restart.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 8:56 AM Ruwan Abeykoon <ruw...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> It is not good idea to have API or Soap service to control any runtime
> feature, as it will cause security issues in default pack if accessible via
> internet.
> Yes, We have similar security issues in "shutdown", but that is
> historical. We should not add any more.
> What we can do is to have a JMX mbean and a CLI tool to call  in the pack.
> This works on docker, and headless runtimes such as gateway.
>
> Not enable correlation log is not due to performance, in IAM PoV, it is
> due to fill up the log.
> We could just use the "correlation-log" appender itself to control the
> log, rather than the system flag.

+1 to control this from the appender itself. In the latest log4j2 we can
dynamically change the appender settings. How about just checking
log.isInfoEnabled() without checking the system property in places like
here [1]. We can by default set the log level to WARN. I tried this in APIM
with some tweaks and it seems it is picking that dynamically and
stars/stops logging. But I had to keep the system property as there seems
to be some lack of initializations. But enabling disabling INFO mode
controlled the logs (as well as the code executions to get additional
information) printed by APIM.

[1]
https://github.com/wso2/carbon-apimgt/blob/master/components/apimgt/org.wso2.carbon.apimgt.gateway/src/main/java/org/wso2/carbon/apimgt/gateway/MethodTimeLogger.java#L83-L91

Thanks!
Malintha

Cheers,
> Ruwan A
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:53 PM Supun Perera <supu...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> @Dushan Silva <dush...@wso2.com>
>> Yes we should find a way to enable it through the mgt console
>>
>> @Arshardh Ifthikar <arsha...@wso2.com>
>> I guess enabling the correlation should cause a performance impact, hence
>> not sure whether it will be a good practice to enable it by default.
>> If it doesn't cause a performance impact, yes +1 from me to enable it by
>> default, that will be the easiest solution :)
>>
>> *Supun Perera*
>> *Senior Software Engineer | WSO2*
>>
>> Email   : supu...@wso2.com
>> Mobile  : +94712235101
>> Web     : http://wso2.com
>>
>> <http://wso2.com/signature>
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:39 PM Arshardh Ifthikar <arsha...@wso2.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 it would be helpful to have a mechanism to enable/disable correlation
>>> logs in the runtime.
>>> How about enabling correlation logs by default? so that we can analyze
>>> the correlation log file right away, once an issue occurs.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Arshardh

>>> --
>>> *Arshardh Ifthikar*
>>> Software Engineer | WSO2 Inc.
>>>
>>> Email: arsha...@wso2.com
>>> Mobile: +94719806525
>>> Web: http://wso2.com
>>>
>>> <http://wso2.com/signature>
>>>

> --
> Ruwan Abeykoon | Director/Architect | WSO2 Inc.
> (w) +947435800  | Email: ruw...@wso2.com

Malintha Amarasinghe
*WSO2, Inc. - lean | enterprise | middleware*
http://wso2.com/

Mobile : +94 712383306