While I'd generally just use webapps as well (and would be happy to
see someone update the doc accordingly), these instructions did work
for me.

By putting it in ./archiva instead of webapps, it's not auto-unpacked
into the path /apache-archiva-1.0.2, which allows you to specify the
path and location through your own context file. The conf directory it
refers to is in the tomcat installation - conf/Catalina/localhost
should already exist and the context XML file needs to be added.

- Brett