PAAIA's IA-100 Hosts 2017 Retreat and Gala in Los Angeles, PAAIA Organizes a
Coalition Letter Requesting Broader Licensing Authorizations, and Interviews
Iranian American Candidate for Atlanta City Council, Liliana Bakhtiari
Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser
(http://mailchi.mp/paaia/paaia-hosts-retreat-and-gala-organizes-a-coalition-to-request-broader-licensing-authorizations-and-interviews-iranian-american-liliana-bakhtiari?e=70eba44e2f)
 .

** PUBLIC AFFAIRS ALLIANCE OF IRANIAN AMERICANS

** NEWSLETTER

** October 25, 2016

** PAAIA's IA-100 Proudly Hosts Annual Retreat and Gala in Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES - The Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA) proudly
hosted its annual Retreat and Gala for its members and special guests at the
Montage Beverly Hills this October. The event assembled Iranian Americans from
across the country, including elected officials, foreign policy and immigration
experts, best-selling authors, and members of PAAIA’s Emerging Leaders Program
(http://paaia.org/leadership-building/Iranian-American-emerging-leaders-program)
 to discuss critically important issues to the Iranian American community. If
you would like to see photos of the event, click here.
(https://www.facebook.com/pg/PublicAffairsAllianceofIranianAmericans/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155159637880939)

PAAIA honored three remarkable members and advocates of the Iranian American
community with prestigious awards at the event. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
was presented with a “Distinguished Public Service Award” and Hadi Partovi, CEO
and Founder of Code.org, was presented with the “Career Achievement Award” for
his successful development of computer programing education across the United
States. Finally, the Farhang Foundation received the “Excellence in Community
Service Award” for celebrating and promoting Iranian art and culture for the
benefit of the community at large, including the Los Angeles Freedom Sculpture,
unveiled on July 4th, 2017.

This event would not have been possible without the hard-work and dedication of
many helping hands. We would like to thank our excellent panelists, moderators,
volunteers, and all those in attendance at the event. Please click here
(http://paaia.org/CMS/ia-100-proudly-hosts-annual-retreat-gala-montage-beverly-hills.aspx)
 to read more about the event, or if you would like to watch our video of the
panel discussion “Coming to America: The Immigration and Visa Quagmire,” please
visit PAAIA’s Facebook Page
(https://www.facebook.com/PublicAffairsAllianceofIranianAmericans/?hc_ref=ARRrRlztWJwWd2ndBL67ken6WPRMju8qZ825tSQKupEwdGGbtQI3abk6he6eFOjAk6g&fref=nf)
 .

** PAAIA Helps Organize a Coalition Letter Requesting Broader General Licensing
Authorizations
WASHINGTON - The Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA), along
with a coalition of civil society, advocacy, technology, and Iranian American
organizations, sent a letter
(http://paaia.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Google-Apple-letter.pdf) to the
Secretaries of State and Treasury requesting the Treasury Department’s Office
of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) broaden general licensing authorizations to
enhance private technology entrepreneurship in Iran by allowing technology
start-up companies to make their applications available on app stores operated
by U.S. parties.

Signed by nine prominent organizations including the Center for Human Rights in
Iran, United 4 Iran, the National Iranian American Council, Pars Equality
Center, and the Iranian American Bar Association, the letter advocates for the
expansion of General License D-1
(http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/iran_gld1.pdf)
  (GL D-1) which allows U.S. companies to provide a targeted set of
communications tools to Iranians. GL D-1 has been widely praised as an
effective example of securing human rights and protecting access to online
information in Iran. Please click here
(http://paaia.org/CMS/paaia-helps-organize-coalition-letter-requesting-broader-general-licensing-authorizations.aspx)
 to read more.

** PAAIA Interviews Iranian American Candidate for Atlanta City Council,
Liliana Bakhtiari
ATLANTA - Two Iranian Americans are campaigning for seats on the Atlanta City
Council - Amir Farokhi
(http://paaia.org/CMS/paaia-interviews-amir-farokhi-campaign-atlanta-city-council.aspx)
 is running in District Two, and Liliana Bakhtiari is running in District Five.
Recently, the Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA) had the
opportunity to interview Liliana Bakhtiari about her campaign. The election,
which will be held on November 7th, marks the first time Bakhtiari has ran for
public office.

PAAIA: Why are you running for public office?

Bakhtiari: I am running for public office because I was tired of feeling
voiceless in my own city. I was tired of advocacy work that never seemed to
push anything forward. I was tired of fighting for a family to stay in their
home, only to have them lose it due to skyrocketing property taxes. I was tired
of only being able to offer a homeless person clothing, a hot meal, and some
money, and not having the ability to prevent them from being on the street. I
wanted to step up and start to affect the causes of these issues, rather than
constantly treating the symptoms. For our democracy to function, every level
government needs to be functioning efficiently and adequately representing its
constituents. That starts locally. I am passionate about representing those who
feel voiceless and shifting the paradigm around what politics can look like.
Please click here
(http://paaia.org/CMS/paaia-interviews-iranian-american-candidate-atlanta-city-council-liliana-bakhtiari.aspx)
 to read
more, and for more information on Liliana Bakhtiari’s campaign, click here.
(https://www.lilianaforatlanta.com/)

** Make a Contribution to PAAIA!
(https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=paaia&id=2)

Help us serve as the credible voice of the Iranian American community with
policymakers and the American public at large. Become a member of PAAIA today!
(https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=paaia&id=1)
While membership is free, annual member dues help us enhance the political
influence of Iranian Americans, defend community interests, and advocate for
issues of importance to the Iranian American community.

** CONNECT WITH PAAIA:
Take Action (http://cqrcengage.com/paaia/)
Follow us on (http://instagram.com/paaia)  Instagram
(http://instagram.com/paaia)
Subscribe on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfshk-_Qk-iSxC__A3HB5Cw)

** SUPPORT PAAIA:

** Donate
(https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=paaia&id=2)  |
Visit Our Website (http://www.paaia.org)  |Emerging Leaders
(http://paaia.org/leadership-building/Iranian-American-emerging-leaders-program)
 | Become a PAAIA Member
(https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=paaia&id=2)

**

** Follow us on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/paaia)
(http://facebook.com/PublicAffairsAllianceofIranianAmericans/)
| ** Forward to a Friend
(http://us12.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=815031feb2c3d0f64af28ce90&id=abe3e176bf&e=70eba44e2f)

Copyright © 2017 Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans, All rights
reserved.
 You are receiving updates on issues that concern Iranian Americans from PAAIA
because you signed up on our website.

Our mailing address is:
5335 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016