Hello Stephen,

It sounds like there are a few things going on here. I’ll respond to them as I
understand them, but please feel free to correct if I’m mistaken about what
you’re trying to do.

First, on the message about having an unpublished ancestor, what version of
ArchivesSpace are you using? I am so far seeing the correct behavior on this in
1.5.1. When I have a complex digital object (i.e. one with multiple
components/levels of hierarchy), if the top level is not marked as published,
the message appears next to the Publish box on the components warning that the
ancestor is unpublished. If I set the ancestor to publish, that message goes
away. It changes responsively when I click or unclick the Publish box in the
way that’s intended.

I do see that the translation value is missing, which is causing the label to
appear as translation missing:
en.digital_object_component.has_unpublished_ancestor in View mode. This would
appear to be a bug, but it’s for the label display only.

Second, it sounds like you’re linking digital objects to resource components.
When a digital object is an instance of a resource component, there is not a
correlation between setting a resource component to publish or not publish and
this message on the instance, which is intentional. Like a container instance,
a digital object instance is a manifestation/version of the resource component,
not a child of it, and its information is only necessary in the context of the
component if you’re viewing it as part of a resource record. (Because of the
way the Digital Objects module in ArchivesSpace works, it also lives on its own
as a record in that module.) The digital object instance itself can be set to
be published or not.

Third, while you can make a complex digital object an instance of a resource
component, only the top level of the object appears in the tree of the resource
record and in the exported EAD. The latter is a limitation of EAD. The full
hierarchy of the complex digital object is linked in the ArchivesSpace public
interface.

I hope that helps to clear up a little bit what is going on and what is/is not
possible in relation to resource components and digital objects. Please just
let us know if you have other questions.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
Community Outreach Manager
christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org>