Hi Stephen,

I wrote a blog post a year or so ago that sort of describes how we handle this
at Duke:
http://blogs.library.duke.edu/bitstreams/2015/07/06/the-tao-of-the-dao-embedding-digital-objects-in-finding-aids/

Some of this info is a bit outdated, as we've moved most of our digital content
into a Fedora repository, but most of the principles still hold.

Our digital resources are discoverable both in finding aids (linked and
sometimes embedded) and in our repository interface.  The finding aid interface
just pulls the images from the repository based on the <dao> tagging.  Some of
this is explained in the blog post.

RE: your last question, we typically link to a repository record with multiple
files.  In theory, there is a 1-1 correspondence between digital object records
in ASpace and digital objects in our repository.

-Noah

Noah Huffman
Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Digital Records
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University | 919-660-5982
http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/