[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

August 2017 Update

Member Forum 2017

Thanks to all who participated in the third annual Member Forum! We really
enjoyed getting the face-to-face time with our community. A huge thanks to
Portland State University for hosting us at the Smith Union Student Center, as
well as to our planning group members and the Atlanta-based LYRASIS staff that
provided logistical support. We are also grateful to our incredible post-Forum
mixer co-hosts, Registered Service Providers Atlas Systems and LYRASIS, and the
chance the mixer gave us to enjoy a beautiful view of the Portland skyline. An
incredible community effort, thank you all!

Presentations, notes, and selected recordings from the program are available
online at
https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2017<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2017>.
 If you have notes or comments of your own to share, please feel free to add
them.

Whether you attended or not, please take a few minutes to fill out the
evaluation at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JSMR796. We'd love to hear about
your experience this year, as well as any suggestions you have for future
forums or other ArchivesSpace events.

Governance Board Elections Update

We are pleased to share the results of the elections that were recently
conducted to fill vacancies on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board.

  *   Gordon Daines, Special Collections Department Chair at Brigham Young
University, has been elected to serve as the representative for Large member
institutions.
  *   Peter Carini, College Archivist at Dartmouth College, has been elected to
serve as the representative for Medium member institutions.
  *   Nicholas Zmijewski, Archivist at the Industrial Archives and Library in
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, has been elected to serve as the representative for
Very Small member institutions.

Gordon, Peter, and Nick will serve two-year terms, effective from July 1, 2017,
and running through June 30, 2019.

We extend our renewed thanks to outgoing representatives Christian Dupont
(Boston College), Jay Gaidmore (College of William & Mary), and Tom Adams (Cold
Spring Harbor Laboratory).

We remain grateful to Christian Dupont, Ann Hodges (Texas A&M - Corpus
Christi), and Tom Adams for their candidacies this year.

We also want to thank Johna Von Behrens (University of Louisiana Lafayette),
Cyndi Shein (UNLV), Mary Saffell (Texas Christian University), Julia Novakovic
(The Strong National Museum of Play), and Annie Tummino (SUNY Maritime) for
their service on the 2017 Nominating Committee.

The leadership needs of our community-based, community-driven organization are
ongoing, and so the contributions of all members, including those of you who
voted as voting representatives for your member institutions, continue to be
greatly valued.

New Advisory Council Appointments

The Governance Board recently approved a number of appointments to our Advisory
Councils.

Six new members have been appointed to the Technical Advisory Council (TAC):
Bobbi Fox (Harvard University), Trevor Thornton (North Carolina State
University), Maggie Hughes (UCLA), Dallas Pillen (University of Michigan),
Julia McGinnis (California University of Pennsylvania), Megan Blair (St.
Edward's University), and Jason Loeffler (American Academy in Rome). Peter
Carini will be the board liaison to the TAC.

Four new members have been appointed to the User Advisory Council: Brittany
Newberry (Atlanta University Center); Alston Cobourn (Texas A&M - Corpus
Christi); Scott Ziegler (American Philosophical Society) and Ann Merryman
(University of South Carolina Upstate). Gordon Daines will be the board liaison
to the UAC.

We thank all whose terms recently concluded for their service, namely Esmé
Cowles (Princeton University), Noah Huffman (Duke University), Chris Prom
(University of Illinois), and Michael Vandermillen (Harvard University) for the
Technical Advisory Council, and Brenda Burk (Clemson University), Nancy
Enneking (Getty Research Institute), and Linda Hocking (Litchfield Historical
Society), for the User Advisory Council. Very special thanks to our outgoing
chairs, Sally Vermaaten (Gates Archive, formerly New York University) and
Gordon Daines.

Our Advisory Councils are critical parts of the ArchivesSpace community,
serving as a communication conduit between ArchivesSpace users, developers, the
Governance Board, and the program team, and providing essential guidance and
support for many ArchivesSpace activities. We are very grateful to all who
nominated themselves or others for these positions this year and encourage all
who are interested to consider service in a future year.

Core Committers Group - Monthly Open Call-Ins

The inaugural ArchivesSpace Core Committers Group had their first meeting on
July 14. Code goes into the ArchivesSpace application from a variety of
sources, and the core committers will be responsible for helping people with
the process of contributing code to ArchivesSpace Github, reviewing and
committing individual code contributions, and ensuring code contributions are
properly licensed and follow best-practice guidelines.

The group will have monthly call-in meetings that are open for the community to
call and listen in as the group handles enhancements to the core code base. The
monthly call-ins will be on the second Monday of the month at 2pm EST. The next
call-in meeting will be on August 14. Here is the conference call information:

  *   Participant Passcode: 731627
  *   US/CAN Toll Free: 1-888-354-0094
  *   Int'l Toll: 1-303-218-2652

The core committers will also stay active in the community by welcoming new
contributors and helping them get involved, monitoring and responding to issues
on the ArchivesSpace mailing lists, and monitoring and analyzing relevant
tickets on ArchivesSpace JIRA.

If you'd like more information about the Core Committers, or if you'd like to
get involved in contributing code to ArchivesSpace, please contact Laney at
laney.mcglo...@lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglo...@lyrasis.org>.

Highlighting User Stories - Call for Ideas!

Our short time together at the Member Forum made it clear that each institution
bumps into unique challenges, but the greater community often comes across very
similar obstacles... and we want to hear your stories!

We plan to launch a community-centric blog series and highlight our members at
the very center of these stories. We want to hear the details on your
challenges, experiences, and problem-solving thought processes as you offer
some helpful advice along the way. Some ideas include: migration mishaps,
creative workarounds, favorite plugins, and more!

If you would like to contribute any stories or have ideas on the type of
stories you'd like to hear, please reach out to Kim at
christine....@lyrasis.org<mailto:christine....@lyrasis.org>.

YouTube Channel

We are now on YouTube! Recordings of selected sessions from the Member Forum
last month are available for streaming at your convenience. Visit our channel
to watch the program update, PUI introduction, updates on different areas of
the application, and the lightning round.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxR6D-UlSx6N6UWTeqHTjzA

We hope to share more programming videos through YouTube. If you would like to
volunteer any videos or have ideas to share, please contact Kim at
christine....@lyrasis.org<mailto:christine....@lyrasis.org>.

New Working Group to Develop an ArchivesSpace Python Library

We're pleased to announce a new working group, open to all regardless of
institutional membership in ArchivesSpace, to develop a shared Python library
to facilitate scripting against the ArchivesSpace API. Led by Patrick Galligan
of Rockefeller Archive Center, this working group will compile existing work in
this area that people are willing to share, identify gaps, and develop
functions and scripts as needed to fill them. The group expects that most work
will be shared via Github and all will be publicly accessible. If you are
interested in participating, please email Patrick at
pgalli...@rockarch.org<mailto:pgalli...@rockarch.org>; if possible, please
include your Github username in order to be added to the developing Github
repository.

Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group Update

The Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group kicked off activities around the
effort at the Member Forum in Portland with a brainstorming session in which
over 40 people participated. The working group, which includes a diverse set of
participants from many different sizes and types of institutions in the
ArchivesSpace member community, will now convene every two weeks in
video/telephone conferencing calls. The hour-long meetings will review
documentation contributed during that time period, refine the focus of the
group, and establish action points for the future. The calls are open and all
members are welcome to join the discussion.

The first Zoom meeting will be on Monday, August 14th, at 11am-12pm EST.
Topic: ArchivesSpace Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group Meeting
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: https://msu.zoom.us/j/478788119

Or join by phone:
+1 646 558 8656 or +1 408 638 0968 US Toll
+1 877 369 0926 (US only, Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 478 788 119
International numbers available:
https://msu.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=5ijYCsNkOSXaxe1liQZkWVqktcflC5qH

Throughout this process, the Working Group will communicate with the
ArchivesSpace community by issuing calls for comments for various in-progress
recommendations. Please visit the group's wiki page for up to date information:
https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/103454069/Staff+Interface+Enhancement+Working+Group
 or get in touch with Lydia Tang (lta...@lib.msu.edu<mailto:lta...@msu.edu>),
the chair of the group, if you have questions.

Membership Update

Our new members since July 20 include:

  *   Cambridge University

Kent State University School of Information joined us as an Educational Program
Member.

As of August 7, we have 330 General members, 15 Educational Program members,
and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution
becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at
archivesspaceh...@lyrasis.org<mailto:archivesspaceh...@lyrasis.org> for more
information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and
program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace
Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as
well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share
this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may
not be on one of these lists.