We are a new archives, so we have not had to import any existing data. Lucky
us, right? But I’m all-too-human, and I’d now like to do some data cleanup. Is
it possible to do data cleanup using OpenRefine? Theoretically, it seems
possible to export “stuff” and pull it into OpenRefine, but I’ve only ever used
OpenRefine in a classroom situation, where the data was already populated for
us. We did not import the data back into an existing database, either, so my
experience is limited to just the mechanics of OpenRefine. Has anyone used
OpenRefine in a real-world situation with data that’s already in Aspace? Or is
there a better method for data cleanup?

A further question/complication is that I’m a lone arranger, and my instance is
hosted by Libraryhost, so any data cleanup may have to be done by them? My tech
skills are rudimentary, so I’m not clear just how I could get this to work. I
asked them once, but didn’t get a real answer.

Sincerely,

Joan Curbow
Reference Librarian and Archivist
Buena Vista University Library