From: archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org
[mailto:archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org] On Behalf Of
Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g)
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:10 PM
To: Archivesspace Users Group <archivesspace_users_group@lyralists.lyrasis.org>
Subject: Re: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] plugin for creating the Next avail
Accession number

I don’t know if it works for current version, but if it doesn’t load, it’s
likely the only thing that needs to be changed is the  frontend/plugin_init.rb
file, to use the new method of loading the routes.rb file:

ArchivesSpace::Application.extend_aspace_routes(File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__),
 "routes.rb"))

I have a modified version at:
https://github.com/uvalib/generate_accession_identifiers which works under 2.x,
which was originally forked from an earlier Yale version, but has two primary
differences:

[1] It produced IDs of the form  ORGCODE YYYY NNNN
where ORGCODE is either the org_code from the repository, or it that is nil,
the short repo code for the repository.
It keeps a separate sequence counter in the DB for each ORGCODE and YEAR, for
example:
sequence_name: GENERATE_ACCESSION_IDENTIFIER_ViU_2018

[2] It tries to work with the user_pref[‘default_values’] setting to enable or
disable automatic generation.

It has worked fine for us, with one occasional source of confusion. Because
this setting can have 3 values ( true, false, nil ) but the checkbox in the UI
can only represent 2 values ( false and nil both map to unchecked ), it can
sometimes be unclear whether or not it is enabled. This is something that needs
to be fixed in the staff UI.

If you have other use of the ‘Pre-populate Records’ setting, you may have a
conflict as you cannot enable or disable the different fields or use-cases
separately.

( I just added a further note to the README to try to explain this issue: )

This plugin is engaged by the pre-populate-records preference setting. (
preferences/defaults/default_values = true ) If default_values is false or
unset (nil), then plugin will not generate accession ids.
In the staff UI, this is labeled as 'Pre-populate Records?' with a checkbox for
boolean values. This can be set on a User,Repository or Global basis.
Note that because the value can have 3 possible settings ( true, false, nil ),
but the checkbox can represent only 2 values, there can be some confusion over
whether a value is unset (nil), which cause it to fallthru to the next level of
settings, or false, which causes it to return false.

— Steve Majewski

On Feb 28, 2018, at 2:28 PM, Kari R Smith