We’ve just starting doing this too.  We’re also in a weird in-between stage
because our web services has been harvesting an HTML scrape for their bento box
discovery layer as well.  We ran into a snag earlier, because it seemed to be
recalling duplicate records via OAI-PMH for our web interface.  (I’m hoping
upgrading to the latest version will help this).
My criticism so far is that it is so easy for archival objects to get
completely buried in comparison to the online articles, books, media, and other
content.  Usually, I have to specifically scope the results to get “archival
materials” when trying to use Summon.  I didn’t exclude Agents and Subjects
(although perhaps I should), but from my experience, the bigger problem is that
I have to dig so deep in the searches to even find ASpace records.
For people who are curious, this is our catalog page:
https://lib.msu.edu/
Summon results happen in the top left box (Once searching for something, click
the “See more” for Articles box).
We also create collection-level catalog records, which often show up in the
“Books & Media” section, although that doesn’t index keywords that aren’t
represented in the catalog record.
We have a more nuanced search function on our Special Collections’ page (hey,
that’s me in the picture!): https://lib.msu.edu/spc/index/
It tends to pick up (almost to a fault), everything we have in ArchivesSpace in
a dedicated “Archival Collections” box, which often includes a plethora of
subjects.
Imperfect, but all for the sake of creating avenues of discovery!  If anyone
has feedback or other solutions, it would be great to keep sharing on this
topic!
Lydia