As others have said, examples are helpful, especially when you are moving from
producing Finding Aids (as in a document with specific formatting) to having to
put metadata of various types into a data model driven database that can then
produce a variety of output, including a formatted Finding Aid.

Have people use the ToolTips (roll-over text) that explains what should go into
any given data field – and make access to the online documentation easy for all
staff using ASpace. A particular challenge at this stage in the AS application
development is that the rendering on the staff side isn’t what is expected and
so the desire to put data into the incorrect fields (but fields that render on
the screen) is great.

I find that using the VRA Core metadata model is helpful for illustrating the
ArchivesSpace models of the Resource, Instances, Archival Objects, Containers,
etc.   I think especially for the Instances, this model is useful.

We have collections where we might have 4 or 5 instance of the same Archival
Object and I believe that it’s useful to understand that the Archival Object is
the intellectual idea of an object … the instance is the physical manifestation
of that Intellectual idea, and the containers are where those instances are
located.  Multiple instances can be linked at the top (Resource) level of a
record or at an Archival object level – all depends on your collections.  But
what is allows for is not having to have a separate Archival Object for each
physical TYPE of thing, just one Archival Object that has many instances.

For an example:

Resource = Collection of My Best Audio Recordings (1976-1988)

Linked Accession =  Today I received 5 reel to reel tapes of recordings
Linked Accession = last month I received 5 CD-ROMs from reformatting of reels

Archival Object = My favorite performance done using a Theremin
(1) Instance = Reel to Reel recording
               Container – Box 1 with barcode #######
Location = Cold Storage
(2) Instance = CD-ROM with recording from the reel to reel
               Container Box 5 with barcode #######
               Location = storage area A, bay 5, shelf 2
(3) Instance = digital files (pulled from the CD-ROM)
               Container = Theremin_recordings.zip    (BagIt package of digital
files)
               Location = Digital Preservation Storage; Collection_MBAR;
Accession_#####
&

Digital Object = MP3 file of the recording that I put online for Web access.
               Location - Webserver

Kari R. Smith
Institute Archivist and Program Head, Digital Archives
Institute Archives & Special Collections, MIT Libraries
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139
IASC office: 617.258.5568  http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/
she | her | hers   @karirene69  [smithkr at mit.edu]