From: archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org
<archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org> on behalf of Cory
Nimer <cory_ni...@byu.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 4:00 PM
To: Archivesspace Users Group
Subject: Re: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] Component Unique Identifiers questions

Linda,

We are still working on our PUI implementation locally, but I believe it should
be possible to set your ArchivesSpace configuration options to display a
composite identifier rather than just the immediate CUI level/value. This would
prevent having to reenter data for each component, while providing a public
view of the whole string. With the composite identifier option enabled, rather
than displaying "Item 1" in the linked example, it should appear as "2012-07-0
Series 1 Sub-Series 1 Item 1" at that item level. The delimiter between the
different levels' CUIs and the optional inclusion of the level of description
is also configurable. Instructions are available in the roll-out documentation
at
https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/103209762/Public+Interface+Documentation+for+staff#PublicInterfaceDocumentation(forstaff)-CompositeIdentifierInheritance,
 and in the configuration documentation
(http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/configuring-archivesspace/).

Information on the duplication of the level of description and the CUI value
from the top container feature's development is available on the Yale
ArchivesSpace guide
(https://guides.library.yale.edu/archivesspace/ASpaceContainerManagement, at
the bottom of the page). Their recommendation at the time seemed to be to
remove the level information from your CUI value. Perhaps someone from Yale or
elsewhere could weigh in about your options regarding this functionality.

Thanks,

Cory Nimer

University Archivist

Brigham Young University