What Mark said. And in addition, I would say that when dealing with these
levels in EAD, what you usually want or need is to distinguish is top-level,
middle-levels and leaves, so in practice making everything in the middle
“subseries” is OK, and if you need finer distinctions you export as numbered c
sections ( c01, c02, c03… )