Can you explain the case for open-ended dates for resources, accessions,
archival, or digital objects?

From: archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org
<archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org> On Behalf Of Ron Van
den Branden
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2022 10:32 AM
To: archivesspace_users_group@lyralists.lyrasis.org
Subject: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] how to encode open-ended date ranges?

Hi,

We’re in the process of migrating data to ArchivesSpace, and one thing I’m
still struggling with is how to encode open-ended date ranges, using
standardized dates only. In other words: how to express:

  *   the fact that only a start date is known
  *   or the fact that only an end date is known
…while still indicating this known date is the start / end of a range whose
other end is not known; as opposite to expressing a precise singular/punctual
date.

Given the fact that ArchivesSpace currently uses 2 distinct date models for
accessions, resources/archival objects and digital objects vs agents (see
https://www.mail-archive.com/archivesspace_users_group@lyralists.lyrasis.org/msg05341.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mail-2Darchive.com_archivesspace-5Fusers-5Fgroup-40lyralists.lyrasis.org_msg05341.html&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=wwc_Z_TbmWbPFh7My2zRxmrGgCNO-71Fwzlmd8YZVUY&m=hwhUWCl8DmiVBAr8KCWWuvqIpF5qGU38NpEyKdpmIIC_b1sDZ08xKIYeni9Jn1Sz&s=cH9UvNvbKkbEcG88o6pqGcf3-0l_7L5sIV0c3bplsR8&e=>),
 I’ll outline the observations and options I’m seeing.

[1] Accessions, resources, archival objects, digital objects:

  *   “Single” date only offers a single date field, labeled “Begin”
  *   “Inclusive” date offers both a “Begin” and “End” date field, only one of
which is required
Would this be a good strategy:

  *   “singular/punctual” dates: “single” date, one value as “Begin” date
  *   date range: “inclusive” date, start and end dates as “Begin” and “End”
dates, respectively
  *   open-ended date range: “inclusive” date, with known date as either
“Begin” or “End” date
?
This leads me to the question whether in practice “single” dates are used at
all for anything except accession dates, creation dates of digital objects, or
as dates for only the lowest-level archival objects?

[2] Agents:

  *   “Single” date only offers a single date field, which can be labeled as
either “Begin” or “End”
  *   “Inclusive” date offers both a “Begin” and “End” date field, of which
“Begin” is mandatory
Would this be a good strategy:

  *   “singular/punctual” dates: “single” date, one value as either “Begin” or
“End” date

Note: in EAC output, the begin/end qualification is dismissed: both are
exported without distinction as e.g.
<date localType="existence" standardDate="2022-10-08">2022-10-08</date>

  *   date range: “inclusive” date, start and end dates as “Begin” and “End”
dates, respectively

  *   open-ended date range: ?
==> problem if only end date is known, since begin date is mandatory
In other words: how would one differentiate between, e.g.:

  *   birth date of a living person (1990 - )
  *   birth date of a deceased person, whose death date is unknown (1800 - ?)
  *   death date of a person whose birth date is unknown (? - 1950)
?

The documentation in the ArchivesSpace Help Center merely documents the
different fields, but I couldn’t find much guidance on how to use them in
practice. The DACS, EAD, and EAC documentation is rather sparse as well
regarding open-ended date ranges. Therefore, any guidance on this matter would
be much appreciated!

Best,

Ron

Ron Van den Branden | functioneel analist - applicatiebeheerder Letterenhuis
Stad Antwerpen | Talentontwikkeling en Vrijetijdsbeleving |  Musea en Erfgoed
Minderbroedersstraat 22, 2000 Antwerpen
✉ Grote Markt 1, 2000 Antwerpen
gsm +32 0485 02 80 50 | tel. +32 3 222 93 30
letterenhuis.be<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.letterenhuis.be_&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=wwc_Z_TbmWbPFh7My2zRxmrGgCNO-71Fwzlmd8YZVUY&m=hwhUWCl8DmiVBAr8KCWWuvqIpF5qGU38NpEyKdpmIIC_b1sDZ08xKIYeni9Jn1Sz&s=RCdANiyeGbpOaHKErHK7dN3hVi4Xjiqw7EG9JmMGEIM&e=>

instagram<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.instagram.com_letterenhuis_&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=wwc_Z_TbmWbPFh7My2zRxmrGgCNO-71Fwzlmd8YZVUY&m=hwhUWCl8DmiVBAr8KCWWuvqIpF5qGU38NpEyKdpmIIC_b1sDZ08xKIYeni9Jn1Sz&s=23CBQ1OTniE_zIpk904UheXNdpIsl_Gs62ZkcZgRQN4&e=>

facebook<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_Letterenhuis&d=DwMGaQ&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=wwc_Z_TbmWbPFh7My2zRxmrGgCNO-71Fwzlmd8YZVUY&m=hwhUWCl8DmiVBAr8KCWWuvqIpF5qGU38NpEyKdpmIIC_b1sDZ08xKIYeni9Jn1Sz&s=Vas9PGIxYEolJnQuVo9qEE1hue_eztFb4vZEFEOLCUE&e=>

Proclaimer
Vergissen is menselijk. Dus als deze e-mail, samen met eventuele bijlagen, niet
voor u bestemd is, vragen we u vriendelijk om dat te melden aan de afzender.
Deze e-mail en de bijlagen zijn namelijk officiële documenten van de stad
Antwerpen. Ze kunnen vertrouwelijke of persoonlijke informatie bevatten. Als
stad nemen we privacy heel serieus en willen we als een goede huisvader waken
over de vertrouwelijkheid van documenten. Als u dit bericht per vergissing hebt
ontvangen of ergens hebt gevonden, wees dan zo eerlijk om het meteen te
verwijderen en het niet verder te verspreiden of te kopiëren.