All dates in the "Dates" section of a record are indexed for use in date-range searches, regardless of the label.

For example, if something was created between 1880 and 1885, but it was also published in June 1950, and digitized on 4th May 2010, then it'll be indexed with the years 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1950, and 2010. Therefore, as well as matching searches with a date range of 1800-1900, it'll also match 1900-2000, or even 2000-present. But it won't match dates ranges in the gaps between, i.e. any subset of 1886-1949 or 1951-2009.

It would be possible to write a plug-in to choose which dates to index.

Andrew.