I wanted to thank Joe for his suggestion to check the Windows Firewall
settings. If others are like me, it is easy to forget about this--I had spent
so much time ensuring that our network settings were okay that the settings on
the machine had escaped my attention. Windows Firewall settings were indeed the
cause of the problem!

We've been testing various Ariel configurations all week to find the one that
will be the most stable for us with our equipment. We ended up reverting to
Ariel 3, as Ariel 4 did not seem to like our scanner. It would work some of the
time, but if we wanted to scan more than one page at a time, Ariel 4 came up
with odd scanner errors. If we acquire different scanning equipment in the
future, we will give the current version another try!

Thanks again, Joe--this list is a great source of support!

Ann Tenglund

St. Bonaventure University