Hello

On 16/08/2019 12:41, Mike Burns wrote:

Hi Fernando,

<clip>

But absent the free pool, that mechanism is not necessary and fair, it is the opposite of that.  In fact, you seem to be injecting items that could be considered obviously unfair, such as favoring new entrants and smaller companies.

This is quiet obvious for me, this is the way it has been done so far in other RIRs and I don't think they and the community who developed such policies are wrong. It doesn't take much thought to consider that existing companies who already hold IP space have ways to keep going,  re-use and optimize the use of IPv4 in order to make more for less and as time goes it will be natural to use them more for transition mechanisms and survive. New entrants would be hugely discriminated if they become an AS and have to go straight to the market. Pushing them to it would be a way for current holders to protect themselves from new competition creating artificial barriers, using a wrong mechanism and also to not treat them the same way they were treated when they first asked they IP space in the past. Therefore is pretty fair and correct to assign space only to new entrants and other situations allowed by sections like 4.10.

I disagree with your opinions about markets being unnatural and not ideal, I hold the opposite view. Markets are the ideal method of fairly distributing scarce and valuable assets, and that is why they naturally evolve in every society.

Of course you do. I apologize if this argument bothers you, but it is a fact to me that trying to build such policies to push people that way only favors transfer market, not organizations and not the internet ecosystem, not for new companies to exist in the Internet. Market is far from an ideal method for distributing scarce resources simply because who has more money will take them all and not necessary who need the most and new entrants are the case. If we were talking about a private resource that companies purchased, own and is not irrevocable fine it belong to them and they may sell for whatever amount they like, but we are talking about IP space which is very different.

I also agree with the executive board decision to shut the waiting list while at the same time observe that this unpalatable action was only required due to the fraud magnet which is the waiting list.

Opening an office in Africa is to access the free pool remaining in AFRINIC and is unrelated to inter-RIR transfers.

If they do and use the addresses in Africa region then no problem at all.

I reject the ad-hominem implication that this proposal is designed to favor my business. Please consider my arguments and not your personal interpretations of my motives in any future replies. This is a frequent occurrence for me as a broker and it bothers me.

Regards,
Mike

*From:*ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml-boun...@arin.net> *On Behalf Of *Fernando Frediani
*Sent:* Friday, August 16, 2019 11:17 AM
*To:* arin-ppml@arin.net
*Subject:* Re: [arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-17: Returned Addresses to the 4.10 Reserved Pool

Hello Mike

I didn't say those things, you are putting words in my mouth.

What I said is that in current time things like new entrants, critical infrastructure, and usage like the 4.10 pool should be prioritized for various reasons and organizations under these circumstances should not be directed to the market as their first option therefore RIRs should not shape their policies to push people to the transfer market which is not a natural thing and ideally should not exist. I however understand the need of it new a days and that this should be a option for organizations who already hold IP space.

With regards the shutdown of the waiting list by the executive board I personally consider that a correct decision. They have detected a fraud and risk of that happening again and it is their role to do such things in order to protect the RIR and ourselves in order to make sure that a few organizations needs is not on the top of everybody needs. The favoring of small members is another correct thing as well.

With regards opening a office in Africa to get "free" addresses fortunately the RIR doesn't allow inter-RIR transfers and according to what have been discussed in the list so far they are not willing to allow it anytime soon.

There is no sense to put new entrants to get space from 4.4 or 4.10 as they are for a different and reasonable propose and pushing them to market is exactly shaping policies to favor private business like yours which is not the function of a RIR and this community who develop these policies. Things change over time and we have do adapt to new scenarios (the policies allowing transfers intra and inter RIR is a example), but we must never forget some principles that has always been base for correct IP space allocations.

Regards
Fernando