On 18/03/2022 11:52, Mike Burns wrote:
<clip>

The primary value of the leasing company is that they are allowing the effective financing of Ipv4 address space through the taking-on of risk in the initial investment.  Currently there is no vehicle for this, and the result is that smaller, newer, less-capitalized companies are required to pay in full, up-front, for address blocks.

That's the repeated history brokers have been trying to tell organizations that have been facing challenges regarding IPv4 exhaustion either because they are new in the sector or most commonly because they didn't bother to take any other measures to deal with the new standard. Even newcomers have how to have access to some amounts to work with without needing to lease them from an organization who don't have justification to keep those addresses. And still brokers who have been facilitating IP leasing play the good guys as if there was not other options and we as a community who define the rules would have to accept it and change the current rules for their own benefit, not the community.

The reality is the IP Leasing increase costs for all (either those who lease or transfer), eliminates accountability, increases unfainess and still the history if that leasing comes save those "poor less capable ones".

This "vehicle" expensive and unnecessary and there are options available that not necessarily imposes worsening the whole system for few people benefits.

Fernando

Unless they lease them from the only allowed lessors (per current policy), that is the IPv4-rich incumbent owners.

So if you want to support the little guy, I think you should support this policy, but if you want to protect those who received address in the past that they no longer need, then you should oppose this policy.

There are many other values the leasing company provides, values stemming from skills related to reputation, location, hijacking, recovery, and the pre-identification of scammers/spammers, and values related to the provision of addresses for temporary or seasonal use, or to enter markets aggressively which may or may not pay off. As the market matures, more value will no doubt be driven by competition. Things like lease-to-own options, highly efficient web or app-based access to lessors and lessees, these are some things that spring to my mind as capabilities to distinguish leasing companies from RIRs so as to provide the value that the market requires. If there were no value provided, why would anybody utilize their services?

Regards,

Mike

*From:* ARIN-PPML <arin-ppml-boun...@arin.net> *On Behalf Of *Holden Karau
*Sent:* Thursday, March 17, 2022 7:29 PM
*To:* andrew....@quark.net
*Cc:* arin-ppml <arin-ppml@arin.net>
*Subject:* Re: [arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

Wait so some company could come to ARIN and ask for a block of IP addresses using leasing as the justification and then turn around and lease them.

What value is the leasing company providing? It seems like a solid way to get a bunch of LLCs formed to acquire IP addresses from the waiting list and then make money for doing ~nothing.