On 26 February, we received a new ACSP 2018.2: Improvements to Whois
Inaccuracy Reporting.

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/suggestions/2018-2.html

serves the ARIN organization, the ARIN community and the general public,
in which the public can be better engaged in reporting ARIN
inaccuracies. Currently, the method for reporting an ARIN inaccuracy is
not only non-tranparent, but without feedback that reporting such
inaccuracies has any affect, I believe that the larger general community
would become disallusioned, and not contribute to improving the accuracy.

ARIN has often reported on the difficulty in auditing the records, both
in SWIP records, ownership records, and references to 'whois' data.

The current method is to follow the instructions listed at
https://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml. However, this
is a one way report, and there is no way the submitter can identify if
the report was even received and reviewed by a human, let alone know if
an action was taken.

I would suggest that instead, a 'ticket' system would be used, so that
the report would be available for review by the ARIN team, and the ARIN
team could provide feedback on when and what form of a notification was
made to the holder of that ARIN space, and the progress to rectification.

The general public could also review these tickets, and this would
ensure that reports do not slip through the cracks, and are properly
followed up on, and that the ARIN mandates are being followed correctly
and in a timely manner.

The public could also review the information BEFORE submitting so that
could prevent duplicate reports. And by publicly showing tickets in
progress, ARIN holders would also have an incentive to fix the problem
in a timely manner.

IT might also be integrated into an action system, alerting IP Space
holders of open tickets, that they might not be aware of, and offers
another avenue for reporting, if for instance the contact information on
file for the report is no longer valid.

It also COULD be used by ARIN staff, eg that renewals do not get
actioned while there are open tickets to be addressed, to help them with
their mandate of maintaining upto date information and accuracy.

Value to Community: Encourages the community to be involved in
maintaining and fixing the accuracy of the ARIN database. Let's them see
the value of making such reports, to encourage future reports. Enables
the community to assess and audit ARIN's actioning of such reports.
Allows them to determine when inaccurate information has been corrected.
Saves them from submitting duplicate requests, when they can see that
the report already has an action trail.

**

We are currently evaluating this suggestion, and will provide a response
to the community as soon as it is available.

Regards,

Communications and Member Services