On 02/09/16 15:33, Joseph Honold wrote:
> A handheld QWERTY device has been my goal for EOMA68 since I found out about
> it.

:)

> Mouse could be implemented as a "keymouse" (like we use on Zipit, uinput
> driver). Basically, hold a modifier key and use DPad to move cursor and
> right/left click buttons.

Or something like Mouseless (recursive 9-box grid) or Mousemove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P7gZFtihKM

> What is everyones favorite form factor?

Ideally, a design like the HTC Universal ("clamshell tablet"?), or
alternatively the N900/Neo900 or HTC Dream ("slide"?), with a hybrid
("transreflective"?) screen a bit like the ones Mary Lou Jepsen or Pixel
Qi made for the OLPC XO-1. That kind of screen can be switched between
backlit for conventional computing, and reflective, where it functions a
bit like an e-ink display, reducing eye strain and battery drain.

That way, a single hand-held device would be:

- Mini laptop
- Mini tablet
- E-book reader
- (Phone too, possibly.)

The advantage of the HTC Univeral's design is that when stowed, the
screen is protected from scratches. However, modern glass ("gorilla
glass", etc) potentially makes that unnecessary, which is why the slide
mechanism would be viable.

I don't know if that kind of glass is compatible with hybrid displays of
the kind I mentioned above. Nor do I know if such hybrid displays are
even remotely obtainable or affordable in the relevant sizes or with
suitable interfaces. We live in hope :)