On Aug 17, 2017, at 14:44, "mike.v...@gmail.com" <mike.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess we just need to make sure that no other GND loop crosses the
> HDMI plane. Perhaps create a barrier on the GND that follows the outer
> HDMI traces. To prevent unwanted GND loops
>
> http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyp173/slyp173.pdf
(Thank you for the link to another interesting high-frequency circuit and PCB
layout reference.  It concentrates on analog circuits but still has good wisdom
and recommendations.)

Since we are routing the highest speed signals as a differential pair, and to
the extent that we are able to create a differential microstrip transmission
line, our biggest return current will be through the neighboring trace of the
differential pair.

Since our differential microstrip transmission line will not be perfect, we are
using ground vias to provide a low-impedance path for return currents across
changes in the associated ground plane.

You bring up an interesting point:  what other current return paths are in the
same vicinity?  I have not analyzed that in any detail.  At least there are no
other lines from signal source to signal sink that I know of that cross the
region of the board where the high-frequency HDMI signals are routed.  Also, to
my knowledge we don't have segmented or restricted ground planes that would
isolate regions with a higher-impedance reference.