On 05/04/2011 07:46 PM, Jon Masters wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'd like to kick off a discussion about flags for ARMv7. My proposal
> here is that we treat v7hl as an entirely different architecture, and
> don't try any multi-arch kind of hacks (there isn't the established user
> base for Fedora ARM to justify doing any of those things at the moment).

Agreed, as long as armv5tel remains supported.

> Things I think we should consider as a minimum:
>
> *). Little endian (obviously, but worth stating) (l)
> *). Cortex-A8 or higher fully compliant core(s)
> *). ARM VFP3 hardware floating point (h)
> *). ARM NEON Architecture
> *). Thumb2 interworking
> *). Your suggestion here?

I think NEON is one step too far because Tegra doesn't support it, and
Tegra is rapidly becoming very prolific in convenient form factors, such
as these:

http://www.trimslice.com

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&toshibaShop=false&BV_UseBVCookie=yes&PRODUCT_ID=1091301&BV_Script=/jsp/fixup/productPage

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/GB-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-ATRIX-GB-EN.alt

> I think we should build for ARM (as opposed to Thumb2) but we should
> support interworking with Thumb2 code through the toolchain options. We
> should then later consider implementing some Thumb2 optimization. It's
> more armv7thl, but the (t) is implied since it's ARMv7 anyway.

What reason is there to not use Thumb2 on ARMv7?

Gordan