On 11/23/2011 06:59 PM, Michael Hope wrote:
> Hi Jon.  I've cc'ed Marcin and Ricardo who are working on the Linaro
> platform side.

Hi Michael, Marcin and Ricardo.  I'm working with Jon on or ARM
endeavors and thought I'd follow-up since compilers are one of the few
areas where I have more expertise than he.  Comments inline below.

> We have a mix of pre-built cross and native compilers that ship with
> Ubuntu or come in a PPA and it would be great to have something
> similar for Fedora.

Indeed, we'd love to see the Linaro package set become available to
Fedora as well.

> Currently we have a Linaro + Ubuntu sauce cross compiler, plain Linaro
> cross compiler, and plain Linaro native compiler.  We're working on a
> plain tarball cross compiler that runs on generic Linux or Windows as
> well.

Fedora sauce is essentially the rpm packaging.  It's actually quite
straight-forward to turn a basic build script (configure; make all
install) into an rpm, so the technical effort needed in this endeavor
may be minor.

> The Linaro + Ubuntu sauce cross compiler is in the Ubuntu archive from
> at least Natty onwards and Marcin is working on making these available
> in Debian.  The plain Linaro compilers are in a PPA, don't include the
> Ubuntu specific patches, and are more up to date.
>
> You probably want your default cross compiler to be the same as the
> native compiler to reduce surprises so you'll probably want both a FSF
> and Linaro cross compiler.

One of the more complicated elements of Fedora Linaro integration that
Fedora maintains its own gcc.  This is essentially FSF stable plus rpm
sauce.  There is definitely room for a Linaro cross compiler.  There
might be room for a Linaro native compiler.

There are a few avenues we would like to explore:

1. Making the Linaro cross package set available for i686, x86_64,
armv7hl and possibly armv5tel rpm-based distributions such as Fedora and
RHEL.  These same packages would likely work on SuSE, Mandriva, etc.
The end goal is to get a wider audience able to use the same tool set,
regardless of their Linux distribution.  This wouldn't need to be
limited to gcc and binutils- any package that makes sense to run on a
non-arm system might be a valid candidate including qemu, cross-gdb, etc
as you mentioned below.  My general assumption is that this would be a
pure-Linaro set of packages so that the libc linaro-gcc links with would
be linaro-libc, rather than Fedora-arm libc- that sort of thing.

2. Making the Linaro native package set available on Fedora ARM.  This
is tricky and will be both technically interesting and perhaps
controversial.  Questions to be answered include things like: Should
linaro gcc replace the system gcc? Whose libc should be used?

> Regarding next steps, I'm afraid we don't have much Fedora packaging
> knowledge in Linaro but are happy to help when you run into problems
> and do any bug triage.  Any thoughts on where the scripts or binaries
> would be hosted, or who would keep it up to date?

That's the big question- who would support this endeavor?  We have
precedent for #1 in Fedora with the mingw cross compiler, but that is
very Fedora-centric.  To bring in the wider rpm-based community, Linaro
is the logical place to host as it is the "source."  With that in mind,
what would we need to do to make rpms automagicaly build any time debs
are produced?  Once packages are in rpm format it's very
straight-forward for anybody to start using them, pulling updates, etc.

> You might want Linaro GDB, QEMU, and the work that's going on into
> libjpeg-turbo as well.  We do the changes in Ubuntu to demonstrate the
> improvements, but I wonder if there's a way of sharing the whats and
> whys so other distros can consider making the same changes.

Fedora generally pulls from the official upstream so anything that gets
pushed there trickles back down eventually.  It's not exactly ideal for
cooperating on multi-package architecture-specific distribution such as
Linaro produces, but the changes do make their way eventually.  In
Fedora ARM we've reinvented the wheel a few times, as it were, and would
like to bridge the upstream gap wherever feasible.

Would you all be interested in a conference call to discuss?

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / b...@redhat.com